Africa’s leading animation studio based in Cape Town is set to begin pre-production on their next feature film aimed at an international release. We are looking to hire a Production Designer.
Partnering with the Director, and in collaboration with the Head of Production and Producers, the Production Designer will elaborate and create concepts and a world for our next feature film. With the team they will bring their expertise and implement it artistically in order to reach the vision and style created with the Director and Producers.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop the project’s artistic vision;
- Design original and creative concepts that portray the Director’s and Producer’s vision of the film;
- Research and establish references for environments, characters, props and visual effects based on the scenario and artistic direction of the film;
- Establish the film’s Color Script and mood board in collaboration with the Director and Visual Supervisor
- Work closely with the Visual Supervisor and the Concept team;
- Attend and actively participate meetings with the Head of Production and Supervisors to ensure that the film’s artistic direction is in line with the technical specifications.
- Supervise the work done within the Art Department in Pre-production;
- Develop, manage and maintain timing and production quotas in collaboration with the production team;
- Actively participate in the recruitment for the Concept team and its management;
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings;
- Assign, supervise and verify the work of the Concept Artists;
- Inform the team regarding changes and other news related to the projects;
- Communicate and work in collaboration with the supervisors of the other departments;
Your key skills will include:
- At least five (5) to seven (7) years of work experience in a film production environment, animated TV series or visual effects in Art Department;
- Excellent artistic skills for illustration;
- Knowledge of 3D CG and MAYA is a plus;
- Thorough knowledge of Photoshop
- Ability to work efficiently and adapt to various personalities and methods of work;
- Ability to work without supervision
- Must be able to establish priorities and work efficiently on various tasks within a high-pressure environment while respecting production deadlines;
- Ability to take direction, give direction and work as part of a team
- Must have strong organizational, management and communication skills;
This is a 10 month fixed term contract starting from 1st June 2018, and is only open to South African citizens.
Portfolio and animation film experience is key for this role.